Day One
So we took away the kids' electronics. We took the phones, the T.V., the computers, the Kindles and the all important X-box. Why? because the electronic usage was getting out of hand. If we asked the kids to take out the garbage, or clean their rooms, or just have a simple conversation at dinner time it was met with a 'hold on', 'can it wait until this show is over?' or some equally annoying and dismissive response.
Here's where things get funny from my perspective. My son, we'll call him Martin (not his real name), decided to get back at me. How did he do this, you ask? He locked himself in his room and only came out to perform certain essential bodily functions. He didn't eat. He didn't socialize. He actually had an attitude about it. Was he trying to get back at me for taking away his stuff? Did he really think I was suffering because he was holed up in his room? I was loving the peace and quiet. No one asked me to lift a finger for twelve hours. I was able to read for pleasure, have a snack and just sit quietly while contemplating life in general. The next time I need a break I think I'll find a way to get him to ignore me.
No comments:
Post a Comment